Tuesday, October 11, 2011

DVD Review: Horrible Bosses

This week on DVD is "Horrible Bosses" with Jennifer Aniston, Jason Sudekis and Jason Bateman.

I saw this one in theatres and it was "pretty good" on first watch, but nothing I'd pay to see again. The acting is infinitely better than the plot. Kevin Spacey, Aniston and the rest of the bosses acting are better than the workers, the bosses are more seasoned actors than the workers, but the workers are funny and the movies flows relatively well from scene to scene.
The plot of HB is simple: I hate my boss, my buddies hate their bosses. Hey, let’s kill them. So they consult a hit man and hire one to kill their bosses. Simple plot, and that’s where is dies. Like I said, the acting saves this movie. If it had a worse cast it would be up for multiple Raspberry awards, but the vets Spacey and Aniston offset the likes of Bateman, Sudekis and Charlie Day, who are good in their own right, but cannot hold a movie without a good plot.
If you didn’t see this in theatres, you didn’t miss much, the DVD/Bluray release has some shorts and deleted scenes but if you’re not a fan of the black comedy genre or the actors (This isn’t even one of Aniston’s better recent movies, “Just Go with It” was much better) wait for it on PPV or Netflix.

4 comments:

  1. Dale reminds me of myself when he bought so many peanuts; I can’t pass up a great deal either. The director Seth Gordon did a great job with the shots and the scene when they are leaving the grocery store is funny because they have so much trouble getting out of the parking lot. I am always looking for the movie I missed in the theater as I am an avid movie watcher but what I like about Blockbuster is that I can always find movies not only rare but 28 days before other movie services. Not only that but the Blockbuster Movie Pass from DISH Network that is free for new customers gives me one bill from DISH, over 100,000 movies plus games, streaming and I also get 20 movie channels on my DISH employee account as a current customer for only $10 a month. Next on my queue is Bad Teacher and I don’t have to pay extra for mail to my home, or Blue-ray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you keep posting on this blog, Kent. I've enjoyed your postings so far. As a former DJ myself, I'd be interested the hear about your experiences these days. I've been out of the business since 1996, so it's likely an entirely different world out there on the dial now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feed back. I'm glad you like reading the blog (I should blog more, but with me working in retail and Christmas coming up, it might be a little hard).

    I've been out of the radio biz full time since 2006 and I can imagine how it's changed since you were in in '96. I got in in 2000 and was hired by a small town station that was in the process of selling to a big conglomerate, so I've seen a little of what you probably saw "back in the day" but boy, has it changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silly, rude & hilarious! If you don't take it seriously, this is a pretty funny movie with the right chemistry that makes it a hit. I really enjoyed it and laughed after it went off. Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis and Charlie Day made their friendship believeable and Kevin Spacey, Colin Ferrell and Jennifer Aniston pulled off their roles as the psycho, the tool & the maneater. Special Kudos go to Jennifer Aniston...I could NEVER imagine her in such a role and the fact that she pulled it off made me a believer in her talent. She should step outside of her box more often.

    ReplyDelete